Tuesday 20 September 2011

2011 - 20th August - Couldn't Organise A Piss Up In A Brewery...

I had my haircut on Tuesday - managing to arrive half an hour late, because despite putting the right time in my diary I invented my own time :o( Luckily Gary was really good about it and just dampened it and dry cut it.  The fluff is finally gone and it just looks like a very short deliberate cut.  It's much better, albeit shorter, but now I can let it grow in earnest for as long as is possible.

Lisa popped over for a couple of hours on Thursday, her youngest now at school.  I'd not seen her since January.  Unfortunately since she kept her shoes on she ended up running out to move my blue bin 2 yards because they arrived late morning when I thought they'd been - telling her "if you put it out we know you want it emptying" "Yes she would have done but she thought you'd already been." Duh.  Lisa used to be a hairdresser.  Double Duh!  I know she'd have done my hair if I'd asked, but that's not something I can do, anyway I like the idea of going TO a hairdressers even if I did only have 4mm cut off and it took 20 minutes.

Ian came up from Bristol this weekend to visit which was hard only in the respect that I don't yet have my new sofas and chair so had to share a sofa the entire weekend!  Not used to such hardships and the pain is present sitting down these days.  He seemed happy enough to sit around watching TV/reading rather than anything more stimulating but I don't know if he was bored to tears or not...hopefully not. Last time we saw each other was in Kent over a year ago.  He had an invite plus one to a wedding where he only really knew the bride.  After a Facebook appeal and a couple of cancellations I drove down to meet a load of strangers in Kent!  Mental.  They all thought we were a couple despite not actually seeing each other in the last 10 years.

Phoenix came on Saturday night so I got to see him sat at the dining table writing an essay for homework for the first time in years on Sunday afternoon.  Seriously I get and excited giddy warm feeling at things like this.  To those of you who aren't living on borrowed time and were not estranged from your beloved son for 2.5 years due to being ill in the first place I guess it's hard to understand.  He discussed it with me too which made it hard to contain myself and appear cool and casual about it, not wanting to scare him off from ever talking to me about psychology again. Plus he'd been over a couple of hours on Wednesday after college, finishing early. Great timing because he moved the old sofa in from the conservatory to the living room ready for new leather corner suite owners to collect.  New sofas should be here early October.

This week I finally rang the hospital about my surgery - couldn't do it last week.  As expected nobody had confirmed a thing.  I asked Mr A's surgery if she could confirm both surgeons AND a theatre are free on A day in mid October and if so when could I expect to hear in writing about admission dates, times, bowel prep or fasting etc.  She said Mr Aa was free on two days, and she thought Mr A was, but there was no theatre list for that day - I told her no, he was having to add an extra day for me as he planned to do in September.  I then explained that this is actually having a negative effect on my life expectancy.  I cannot and will not have chemotherapy until I am recovered from this surgery.  I cannot have the surgery if I'm on chemo.  By delaying surgery my tumours continue to double every three months and I may not be able to have any further treatment if I leave it too much longer, meaning I'll die sooner.  I didn't see any point in beating about the bush.  I wasn't rude in the slightest or bleating, I just told her how it was to explain why I needed her to check everything and ring me back. She rang back today having spoken to both Messrs A and they are both available and theatre is booked.  She also confirmed that yes, waiting list will write to me to tell me what, when, where etc.  If I don't have a letter in a week I shall be ringing again.

I'm really liking the living room with my new mirror and having got rid of that massive brown leather corner affair.  It feels so much more cosy and bigger.  It won't feel quite as large with two sofas and a chair but cosy I'm sure is here to stay.  

 

1 comment:

Carole said...

Well done Lisa for telling her how it is...to the point and direct. It seems to have had the desired effect and hopefully all going in the right direction now.

It does piss me off that despite all you're going through you *still* have to chase things up for yourself to get things done!

Loved hearing about the homework and 'normal' stuff, things that people take for granted...

Oh and yes, cosy is good :)
xxxx