Saturday 19 January 2008

2007 Nov 30th - Chemobrain & Laptops

Friday, November 30, 2007


Chemobrain?
Category: Life

Oh My Giddy Aunt!

Chemobrain really has taken a hold on me......not only can I not remember my children's names and get them mixed up with the cat..........I've totally lost my ability to check out the bleeding obvious. Otherwise called engaging brain before using mouth.

I dragged my poor mate over from Lincoln (I say dragged he sort of volunteered) to take the data off my still not paid for (on govt. HP scheme through work) dogs danglies Toshiba G30. The reason I wanted this done is because I wanted to send it back, knowing I'd have a fight on my hands because of the HP agreement, the fact that the company leasing it went into liquidation after the agreements were signed, the fact that HR are as much use as a torch to a blind man.........yadda yadda.

I wanted to send it back because one day back in August (approx 1 year after delivery as always) the screen went blank. The computer was still whirring and switching on, but no screen. I tried it with other monitors, no joy. Not the screen backlight then..............

To cut a long story short, Mike spent about 3 or 4 hours taking the drives out of the Toshiba and hooking them up to my Tower to take the photos and music off them. To be fair I did take him out for steak and chips beforehand so he didn't faint from hunger during the mammoth task and there was some TV watching during the file transfer........at midnight it was finished and by 1am he'd networked the new laptop I bought (ahem yes I know charitable grants aren't intended to help with laptop emergencies, but the internet is my lifeline when I'm in bed for days on end). ANYWAY..............crumbs, this is me cutting it short? Just before he left just after 1am.....(thankfully with a day off tomorrow to sleep) he switched the Toshiba on.......pressed two buttons and within 5 seconds there was the windows desktop.........not a thing wrong with it !

I'm blaming skittles for walking over the keyboard when I logged on that Saturday in August in a hurry to check my emails before I left the house.........he'd toggled the monitor mode to external screen or TV screen and all I had to do was hold down the function key and press F5 a couple of times.........How stupid? How embarrassed? How guilty for wasting a few hours of a great friend's life which he'll never get back? Oh dear........! He closed the laptop lid and said "I'll just close this and we'll never talk about it again". I think he'll forgive me one day........maybe in 2010?

Oh and I guess I should also mention that after stuffing myself silly on loaded nachos as a starter (a starter is usually my main course) when the steak arrived I unscrewed the lid of the vinegar bottle (as I would at home on my Sarsons glass bottled malt) and POURED vinegar all over my plate . It was a stupid flip top that also unscrewed.......with the tiny hole shaker bit in the flip top lid that I took off.....! I think only about ten people saw me.........and thought I was care in the community. Managed to absorb most of it with napkins but I was so stuffed from the nachos I couldn't eat the chips anyway .

I dread to think what I'll do next week.......oh my god please, please, please let all my faculties work next Tuesday!!

1:22 - 8 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Billy Bollockchops

That'll teach me to take your word for it. But to be fair, I only asked if *you'd* pressed the combo to switch the screen output around. Not...specifically...the cat. And thanks for not mentioning that I actually brought a laptop battery instead of the proper adapter by mistake. lol, what a twerp. I should've looked in the box.

The food was delicious though, and those nachos!!! Cor. I might make myself some more tonight. *lush* Thanks sooo much :-) xxxx

Posted by Billy Bollockchops on Friday, November 30, 2007 at 15:05
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Lisa Left Eye Loopylalalalala

Oh yeah hahah totally forgot about that but since you're a puterwhizzgeek it was kinda irrelevant. Thank heavens for IDE eh?

Posted by Lisa Left Eye Loopylalalalala on Friday, November 30, 2007 at 15:07
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Donna

I feel slightly responsible as Skittle's grandmother. He obviously inherited my life skills.

Posted by Donna on Friday, November 30, 2007 at 15:05
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Lisa Left Eye Loopylalalalala

Well now poppet, don't worry yourself, I'm just blaming a poor defenseless kitten because he does like to try and help me when I'm playing poker, chatting on msn etc. He may not even have been there.........but it makes me look less of a twonk.

To be fair if you taught him to type I think you must have AWESOME life skills of your own!!!

Posted by Lisa Left Eye Loopylalalalala on Friday, November 30, 2007 at 15:15
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Billy Bollockchops

I could smell your brown-nosing from over 'ere.

Posted by Billy Bollockchops on Friday, November 30, 2007 at 20:09
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Lisa Left Eye Loopylalalalala

Shut up chockychocks, we're in the sista hood innit bruvva.

Posted by Lisa Left Eye Loopylalalalala on Friday, November 30, 2007 at 20:11
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Billy Bollockchops

Bah, you shurrup, you're as sour as your chips on Friday night :-P

Posted by Billy Bollockchops on Saturday, December 01, 2007 at 12:05
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Umpalumpa

PMSL you two are hilarious..........x

Posted by Umpalumpa on Sunday, December 02, 2007 at 18:46

No comments: